Thursday, October 27, 2011

Not a Creature was stirring . . . and then came the Mouse . . .

T'was the night before Thursday and all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.

The Boss, he had settled a bit after eight
I headed for bed . . . hours after my mate.

Both fast asleep, in dreamland by now . . .
From under the bed . . . a feline's fierce growl.

Away to the dresser I flew for a flashlight
To see one of the kitties,  a mouse in her bite.

"Something to play with was brought in the house,
Early this morning,"  reported my spouse.

The mouse, it was frisky and fast - quite a feature!
None of us got it, not even the Reacher.

Finally it ran behind the tall bookcase.
Admitting defeat, we gave up the mouse chase.

Now, how do I sleep with a mouse on the loose?
Will both cats be on duty making sure I can snooze?

 
 Amazed, I awoke in the morning at ten . . .
Two cats on my legs, dead mouse by my bed.

Never a dull moment at the Brooks' house!